It’s kind of an in-between time. Christmas is over and we’re pumped for the New Year, but a lot of us are back at work like it’s a regular old Wednesday. And maybe it kind of is?
If you eat healthy, Christmas may’ve been a bit of an overload for you. The meals get rich even if you don’t eat a ton (Sausage & Wild Mushroom Risotto.. recipe to come in 2016). Then dessert. And all that wine. It’s good, it’s just a lot.
What we need now is a meal that will fill us up, but be gentle as we ease into our new year resolutions..
So I whipped up a bit of a comfort-food favorite, the healthy way: Hot Grits with Artichokes & Poached Eggs. I saw this recipe years ago, and made it my own.
Okay okay okay. I’m aware grits aren’t a ‘diet’ food. But we’re all about healthy eating, not restrictions! So let’s enjoy them (and just add less butter, dramatically less).
What you’ll need:
1/8 cup grits
1/2 cup water
1/4 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. red chili flakes
1/4 cup marinated artichokes
- Combine grits and water in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring regularly to keep grits from sticking.
- Add red chili flakes, butter and salt & pepper (to taste).
- Crack egg into a ramekin or small bowl.
- Fill a separate pot halfway with water & bring to an almost-boil.
- Add pinch of salt and splash of vinegar.
- Stir water in a circle, creating a whirlpool. Pour egg in the center and stop stirring.
- Cover pot and turn off heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Resist the urge to peek! Just let the egg set.
- Put grits in a bowl & pour artichokes over.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove egg from water and place on top!
Sidenote: There’s no shame in an egg lost. If the whites of your egg feather out, just try again. You want a good poached egg for this meal.